Friday, September 3, 2010

Never before

OK, so I am working on becoming a more regular blogger. That is not an easy thing for me. I think it may be because I value my privacy a great deal. It may be my hoarding sensibility, too. It may be that I'm old. It may be a lot of things.

But in teaching a class on new media, which I would identify as the use of immersive, interactive, computer-based, communicative tools, I am becoming more and more interested in this thing. This blog that is. And, also, how technology is less likely to be used to manipulate me or anyone else against our own best interests if I actively engage with it.

Some technologies--like mechanical pencils, for instance--I have an undeniable attraction to, one I can't remember not having. Others I am more skeptical of. And blogs are one technology that I am skeptical of, given that it's not always been clear to me whether I can use it to enhance popular freedom or if, in using it, I will be undermining those efforts more than promoting them.

Anyway, I realize these reflections are quickly becoming boring.

[There was some other stuff here. I realized that a post I thought hadn't gone up actually had, leaving me with essentially duplicate content.]

No comments: