Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Remixing on Family Guy

When composing is seen as a social, multimodal activity, we can and do call it remixing. While Family Guy, as a television show, does not satisfy the definition that some use for new media (which involves the use of linked "Web 2.0" technologies for distribution), it is a fun example of a multimodal remix. I often think about how the plotlines of the show are basically irrelevant, a thing noted in the South Park episode where the writing staff for FG is a bunch of manatees in a tank filled with "idea" balls. When I remember Family Guy, then, I do not remember entire episodes. I remember moments when I laugh or am embarrassed for being a part of the audience--like when Stewie and Peter drive Lois into the ocean (embarrassed), when Brian enters the family room with his girlfriend in sunglasses addicted to cocaine (both), whenever Stewie is in drag, etc. They are, most of them, moments and not episodes. Perhaps this is the case with many sitcoms; I guess they wouldn't be funny if we didn't recognize ourselves in them, so they are pretty much always ripped from other sources.

But, with FG and remix, we are forced to admit whether or not we find remixing a thing that requires talent, that is as creative as more "original" storytelling.

I guess I am interested in this because it is only recently that I have really been thinking about interactivity, that narrowing of the roles of producer and consumer, within popular texts. And with FG, it's completely in your face.

Do I like FG? Yes, I love FG. All writing is remixing, and the richest remixes are the best writing of all.

No comments: